Kathy's Chicken Chili
- 1 can (28 oz.) Italian tomatoes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 T. garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 med. zucchini, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 1" squares
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 t. curry powder
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. oregano
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 4 T. chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Place chicken breasts in water, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove chicken from pan, cool, and dice.
In a stockpot, heat the chicken stock, garlic, and onion and cook for 3 minutes on low heat. Add zucchini and peppers; cook covered for 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, chili powder, cumin, curry powder, and oregano. Simmer uncovered on low heat for 3 minutes. Add chicken, beans, lemon juice, parsley, and black pepper. Simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
It warms my heart to share this recipe for you - it's my mom's recipe, dictated to my dad and written in his own handwriting. Do you hang onto things like that? I do! Someday I imagine it will be pretty cool
to have a recipe in my father's handwriting. Not to mention it's a kick-ass chili.